Sunday, February 1, 2009
Last night, I was up until 3, which is very unusual for me. I responded to a few emails and sent out a few extra, played SLINGO (a game on yahoo) and thought about various things. One being what to do with the borders on this quilt.
When I awoke this morning, I gathered up the remaining sections of fabric used in the blocks and began figuring measurements. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had more than I realized. I chose the brown/gold as the first border, made sure there was enough to make a border with the light brown/gold. I laid it out on the floor and debated for a short while if I should even add the green. Went back to the calculator and cutting mat, and proceeded to cut the green border.
As ususual, my photos do not due the fabric colors justice.
But this is my finished quilt top. I am so thrilled with the layout and fabric choices for this quilt. I must admit, I am very proud of myself.
Now I set aside one of the fabrics used in the centers of the blocks and will use it for the binding....once I decide what the quilt backing will be.
My mind is already playing with how to machine quilt it. But I look at the quilt and a fear comes over me. Since my machine quilting is far from being good, I am petrified I am going to foul up. So for a short time, it is going to sit aside again and let me get my bearings. LOL.
After finishing the quilt top and stopped glowing (hee,hee,hee) I went back to working on the crazy blocks I am assembling.
With all the movement from sewing machine to ironing board and back to machine. I was getting a terrible ache in my back from pushing hard against the carpeting to get the chair to manuever.
The thought occured to me that there might be a solid object out in the garage that could be used as a flat surface over the carpet.
Low and behold, there it was this big piece of plyboard leaned against a shelf. I found the tape measure and made sure it would fit. Then came inside and asked Kevin if it would work. He came out to the garage and made sure what I was talking about, I do not always describe things correctly or use the right terms. Thats my brain for you! He agreed that it would work and we slowly moved it up to the porch. I hated to have him lift anything, but I needed his assistance.
After I moved furniture around, vacuumed the carpet extra well, I drug the piece the few feet into the dining room and plopped it down. Of course I had to move the furniture back and give it a go. Zoom..................Zooom...................the chair slides wonderfully! Now I have to get used to gently sliding, instead of pushing with all my might. LOL.
I hope that all of you are having a most DELIGHTING day! I am headed back to the sewing room.