Sunday, November 23, 2008

STARTING NEW QUILT


This is just a picture I enjoy and thought I would share. The colors are so peaceful and it brings thoughts of warmth.
Since I am starting a new quilt today, I took the time to oil and clean the machine thoroughly. I was surprised it was not filled with fabric dust. Only a small amount, which means I am doing a pretty good job at in between cleanings. So just a reminder to clean and oil your machines.
I can not post any pictures, hubby took the camera with him to work for some reason; but I am going to make the VIRGINIA BOUND quilt found in Bonnie Hunters new book called Scraps and Shirttails. I highly recommend checking in on her site and trying any one of her patterns. She provides many patterns for free, based on using scraps. But one could easily use select fabrics also. Her book has some great patterns in it. My friend Maureen made a Bargello in Plaid quilt from her book that is wonderful.
The Virginia Bound uses paper piecing for the blocks. I have not used paper piecing in quite some time; am looking forward to using up many scraps that seem to accumulate by a magic spell or something. I tend to think that I have an fairy watching and she panics when my scrap bucket begins to dwindle, therefore she casts a spell and fills it back up. Any of you have a fairy? LOL.
By the way, I forgot to tell everyone that my "picky" daughter absolutely loves the Dresden Plate quilt and can not wait to get it. I really was surprised, do not get me wrong: my daughter is a sweetheart and will cherish any quilt she receives, but she has particular likes and dislikes and I am always afraid of not finding/making something she will really appreciate. My mother is the same way....no flower prints or designs for her and she is very picky about colors. They do say that genes skip a generation. LOL.
Since she really liked the quilt, I am going to go ahead and hand quilt it. I forewarned her that she will not receive it for awhile. I am going to take my time and not rush. Off I go to check on blogs and then sewing. Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. I knew your daughter would love it!

    Good luck with the paper piecing.

    Pat H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda, This is a beautiful photo. I love that time of day when there is a dark silloutte on the horizon. And you finished the Dresdan already?? I wish I could accomplish half of what you do! I bet it gorgeous! Your new book sure sounds like a good one. I emailed you the address of Roseburg's quilt store.
    Take care,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda, Beautiful phots. Sew happy our daughter loves the Dresden Plate quilt, sometimes our kids amaze us.Can't wait to see some pictures as you work on your new quilt. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and many blessings and hugs. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brenda, I've missed visiting you. Caught up on all your latest posts...your blog is always so delightful! :)

    Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving...hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete