Thursday, July 30, 2015

Half Square Triangles Lessons learned




https://frommycarolinahome.wordpress.com/2015/03/12/quilt-along-mystery-quilt-2015/

Since I signed up for Carole's Scrap Dance Mystery Quilt Along , for mainly two reasons.  She was using half square triangles and because it was a mystery.  It has been quite awhile since doing a mystery and the ones I have done have always been fun.  Plus, I had just purchased a Quick Quarter 2 quilt marking tool and Frixon pens that I have read a lot of good reviews/recommendations about and I wanted to try them out.  My opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way by anyone or company. 

After finishing step 2 and beginning step 3, I realized that my individual blocks had gone together rather quickly and easily.  Hmmmmm.....got the brain to thinking.  Sometimes that can be a dangerous game to play.  LOL.  But, I quickly realized it had to do with following advice from quite a few quilters who win awards and such.  I have never worried if my seams and points matched perfectly.  I quilt to have fun and to get the gratification of seeing happy faces when they are gifted to someone.  So why bother with being perfect.  I do not mean to offend anyone in anyway, because those of you who do work at achieving that perfect block and quilt...well I applaud you.  Your blocks and quilts deserve every award you have achieved in working towards that perfection.  I just draw drop drool over so many of your quilts.  But it is just not my will to ever even enter a quilt in a show.  Enough said.

Back to the half square triangles and my discovery.  After spending all of the time it took to mark each and every single light square, I decided to take that splurge and trim up each and every one of my HST down to the 2 1/2 block size.  I was amazed at the amount of little bits of shaved off fabric that began to pile up and up and up.  In the past, I have just snipped those little ears off and sewn the HST to the light square and been done with it.

I totally recommend no matter what skill level you are that you do take the time and trim those little HST down to the designated proper size.  The strips that I am sewing together are going together wonderfully.

Well, I am off to do some hand embroidery for the evening and check on some emails.  Have a great day creating.

1 comment: