Saturday, January 19, 2019

Discovering UFO's is actually very fun right now!


A few years ago, I discovered Christmas Fabrics for the very first time.  Honestly!!  I mean, I knew they existed and had fallen in love with the gorgeous Christmas Quilts that so many talented quilters have shared throughout the years I have been a quilter and began following blogs.  Plus, just adored all of the cute fun fabrics that were used to create so many types of projects.  Yet, seriously, I had never thought about making anything with the wide variety of Christmas Fabrics.  LOL.

Once I did though, I have truly fallen in love with creating Christmas Quilts and so many other projects involving the specialty line of fabrics.  The past two years, I just did not have the heart to make any at all, since my Dad passed away in November 2017.  I discovered quite a few unfinished projects from the year 2016 that my friend and I had started and just did not get finished while I was organizing my fabric storage room.  A lot of our projects were intended for our Community and will be again.  Although, some will also go into my ?  (I am not sure how or where we will be trying to sell the quilts and other projects at this time).

The two pillowcases above are actually a pair of Reversible Pillowcases.  I am so glad that I had used a safety pin and pinned on the instructions for what the purpose of these cut out material pieces were.  Until I did see it, I was already thinking about finding a matching fabric to the Winter Scene and creating two more sections and then creating a quilt top.  After seeing the pinned instructions, finishing the pillowcases did not take very long at all.  I just now thought, quilting these lovely pillowcases would have made them extra special.  May brain always gets me into trouble when it takes forever and a day to think of a great idea!!  LOL.  Oh well, there is always a next time.



I discovered 6 of these Reindeer Stocking Cut Outs while I was organizing.  These Stockings are so spectacular in several ways that appeal to my personality.  I have always, to the best of my memory, been a person who would enjoy picking every animal up and cuddling with them.  I am not a great photographer, so all of the wildlife is hard to tell exactly what it is.  Plus, the variety of florals are just amazing.  I had started to get these quilted and made it all the way through 6 of the Stockings with just 2 left to go.  I hope to at least finish the quilting part tomorrow.

I needed to stop for the household type of duties, plus my fur babies were ready for us to get all comfy cozy on the bed for the remainder of the evening.  While I was doing the dishes, fixing dinner and all of that fun stuff.  I kept thinking to myself that instead of making these into actual Stockings, I could easily cut out a background fabric add another layer of batting underneath the Stockings and applique them onto the background.  Along with doing a special sashing, just an example, such as flying geese.  Also, a special border or two could be added and this quilt could easily become my husbands Christmas present for next year or I can just sell it!  Decisions, Decisions....Choices, Choices....Life can be so difficult.  What are your thoughts?  What color backing would you use?  Do you like a poufy applique?



Jenny is a marvelous person who I have followed for quite a few years @ Jenny of Elefantz.
This link below will, hopefully, take you to her first post in 2018 where she shares her first BOM
Block Of The Month and it is free for a short while longer.  Today she was talking about her upcoming plans for 2019.  If you enjoy hand embroidery, she designs some fabulous patterns and many of them are free.  She also is in the process of getting her Etsy store set up.  Do not quote me on the Etsy store, my brain is growing weary, but check out her blog and you will find all of the information that you need.

http://www.elefantz.com/2018/01/block-1-year-in-garden-bom.html

I have only completed two of the blocks.  I know, I know....but I am perfectly fine with this pace I am going at.  I decided to do this block as a surface embroidery style.  I was one of the people who at first was calling it Crewel Embroidery.  Until, Mary Corbett put the true definitions out for everyone to read and know the difference.  Crewel Embroidery uses wool thread and Surface embroidery is using any other type of thread.  Makes absolute sense and when I am doing something, even if I am not a perfectionist, I do want to honestly tell people who ask what it is I am doing by the correct name!

I absolutely am thrilled that I finished it and that it turned out not so bad.  Yet, I still have a lot to learn in several areas.  The first technique is blending my color choices better.  For instance, the yellow flower, I can not see a difference in the three varieties of DMC threads I chose.  My second big mistake was to use orange color variations in the umbrella and in both of the birds.  I do not notice any of this with just looking at this.  But when the camera is used, wowsers it makes such a huge difference, I was shocked.  How could I use the camera without filling in an entire area and then having to rip out all of the stitches?

I am having fun with all of the challenges that go with quilting.  Now, I am learning about the world of blogging.  I have a whole lot to learn here.  I hope that you all have a nice relaxing evening!  Until next time enjoy every moment!






2 comments:

  1. I love your ideas for the reindeer stockings. Don't be so hard on yourself, the embroidery is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda! This just popped into my email now and it's a day late! Those stockings are so cute. Wow - that is a great idea about the stockings. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do with them. I honestly never knew there was a definition for Crewel Embroidery. Good grief, who cares if it is crewel or surface?! I don't. I used to do that eons ago, and I am thrilled that you enjoy it!! I made my sister a foot stool and some pictures way back when - I'd love to see that foot stool again. I think your embroidery looks fine, and I can see the variations in your yellow flower! Don't be so hard on yourself, as Carole says, AND don't tell us your errors. We all have them but you don't have to point them out. {{Hugs}} You got a lot done this week. The venue for selling your items will present itself when the time is right. I am confident of that. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete