Thursday, May 2, 2019

APRIL UFO PROJECTS ARE COMPLETED




For my UFO Challenge in April, I chose to get all of my Tea Cup/Tea Pot Blocks all finished.  There are actually 3 different Quilt Projects involved and I will give just a bit of information, but try and let the pictures tell the story.  I will give you fair warning that there are a lot of pictures posted.




The first eight pictures are a BOM that I did through Debby Kratovil who blogs at Debby Kratovil Quilts here is the link  https://debbykratovilquilts.blogspot.com/2018/01/2018-tea-party-block-of-month-january.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+DebbyKratovilQuilts+(Debby+Kratovil+Quilts)




Debby would give us one block to applique in any way that we desired.  I decided at some point to begin combining some of the individual blocks and also to add the various browns to make it look as if the tea pots and various other items were sitting on a shelf or a table.



I really enjoy satin stitch fusible applique along with trying out the various ways that you can use the stitch lengths and widths and create different results so easily.  I also had fun with trying out the various placement of the items.



It was also very challenging to decide what fabrics to use.  Tea sets come in such a huge variety of designs that trying to decide what would be a good choice was hard.



As you can see, I decided to try out a big variety of fabrics.




Using fabrics and threads that I found fun, bright and cheerful or just beautiful and delicate like a china pattern.




I thought the way that Debby adding the variety of extra items, like the cake stand above, added a lot of personality to the blocks and will make the quilt a fabulous trip down memory lane for many people!



This set of wobbling tea cups makes me think of the times we all probably tried to carry two or more dishes stacked like this to the table...thinking we were so special.  I wonder how many special China Sets got broken by us smart aleck kids thinking we could do it all!  LOL.

I just wanted to get all of the blocks stitched.  I am not positive if I am done making blocks, I kept thinking that I could mix and match these items together into other varieties and be able to create a bigger quilt.  I will have to start taking notes on my ideas and then when I am ready to begin the next step, I can look over my ideas and decide from there.



https://frommycarolinahome.com/category/teacup-quilt-along/

Carole who blogs at FROM MY CAROLINA HOME started this Tea Cup Quilt Along and I just could not resist joining in.  One of the fun parts of doing this quilt is that she is keeping it rather low key.  Yet she is doing this in such a way that she has everyone anxiously awaiting to find out what the next block will be and exactly what type of technique will be used to create the block.



It has been quite some time since I have done any paper piecing.  So, I was thrilled with my results and am looking forward to trying some more paper pieced patterns!




With this paper pieced pattern, I wanted to create the look that the coffee cups were hanging on a shelf.  I am not sure I got that effect exactly, but I am very happy with the block.  I also love the purple fabric I used for the cups.



Forgive me, but I can not remember the exact details because of my brain injury.  It had something to do with a Creamer and Sugar Bowl, I hope I am remembering correctly.  LOL.  So, I began looking through some of my saved patterns and discovered these patterns for hand embroidery tea cups, Creamer and Sugar Bowl and one other item.  I have them all finished and just realized I did not take pictures of them.  I will have to do that tomorrow and add them in.




I have found that doing hand embroidery once again is a marvelous stress reliever for me and it ends up producing such fabulous items.  I look forward to continuing my adventures with this Quilt Along and with my Hand Embroidery projects.




All of these appliqued tea pots were a lot of fun to create.  They are going to made into a quilt for one of my SIL.  I had an entirely different quilt started for her, but I just lost interest in it.  I am not sure when I had cut these tea pots out and prepared them, but am pretty sure it was last year sometime.  I only remembered them when I was looking through my quilting magazines and saw the pattern.

I am so thrilled to have all of these tea pot blocks appliqued and ready for the next step.  Whenever and Whatever that step may be in the future.  For now, I accomplished the goal I had set for April, now none of the pieces will get lost.  I do however need to make them each a separate marked dated and information tag to keep track of what is what!

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!  I will reply to your comment as soon as I can.  Have a spectacular day!

Brenda

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brenda! What a fun assortment of tea cups, pots and other items. I came this close || to following along on both Debby and Carol's QAL. I really want to make a tea-inspired quilt for a coworker but the time just wasn't right. I just love those three mugs hanging in a row, and the one with the candlesticks and the mug on a table. Very clever idea! It will be so fun to see how you decide to use and finish these blocks. Enjoy your weekend! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on reading blogs, and want to thank you for the mention of the Teacups Quilt along! I hope you like the kettle!!

    ReplyDelete