Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Baby Quilt....

It has been awhile since I have made a baby quilt.  An online friend of hubbies is expecting their first grandchild...well just found out she asked if I could make a couple baby quilts.  At first, I was a little lost as to what fabric to use, but as soon as I ran across these Clown applique was so easy to choose the fabric to go with it.  I know it is super bright and in the picture the clowns seem to disappear a tad.  But in person, the clowns stand out bright and friendly. 

For the backing, I found some darkish blue fabric that has spaceships all over.  I figured the two sides would work perfectly for a boy for years to come.  I also decided to try out basting the front with Elmers Washable School Glue.  It worked SUPERPBLY.      So this morning, I taped the front to the floor and laid out the backing; smoothing every little section.  Next, lifted the top, took and glued dots and thin lines all over the top half, then spread the top back on making sure it laid nice and flat.  Next, did the middle section and then the bottom half.

It only took me about 15 to 20 minutes to do the entire thing.  Well because of the arthritis pain, I had to get up off the floor and move/relax all muscles.  After a couple hours, I went back in the sewing room and used a hot iron to go over the whole quilt.  Not one piece of fabric or batting moved to cause wrinkles.  Again, pain sets I pulled it off the floor and laid it across the table to dry really well until tomorrow.  

I am really looking forward to quilting this tomorrow!!  I sure hope that it works as well as my small project did.  I will tell you and show photos when I am totally done.  The friend has asked me to make a total of 5 baby quilts.  I love when motivation kicks in and everything works together.

No comments:

Post a Comment