Friday, August 21, 2015

QUILTING AND BAKING WORK WELL TOGETHER



Aren't these Dog Bone treats just so cute!  Kevin picked up the cookie cutter a few years ago after finding an all natural recipe on line for our fur babies.  It was after the recall on several pet foods because of possible poisoning.  Since he made the first batch, our fur babies wait anxiously for their special treats.  Sorry the picture is so yellow...I am certainly not a photographer, but I do enjoy taking pictures.

Would you like the recipe? 

Preheat oven to 350.
In a Medium sized glass bowl mix 2 cups Flour......1 and a fouth cups of Shredded Cheese (we use Cheddar, but you could use other varieties)...........1/2 cup of Oil (we like to use Coconut Oil, but we did not have any today, so I used Crisco Shortening) you could also use Vegetable or Olive Oil..........4 Tbsp. water

Mix all ingredients together to form a stiff dough.  Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness.  Use a cookie cutter of your choice or just cut into squares and place on a cookie sheet.  Bake for at least 10 minutes or until Golden Brown.  Let cool completely and then serve to your puppies.  Store in an airtight container.




While the doggie treats were baking, I made up a batch of Oatmeal Peanut Butter cookies for me.  Plus, I made Kevin a Chocolate Cake (no picture).  Sometimes, while I am busy doing various tasks for a quilt, I will bake like this.  Somehow it works well for me.  I do not bake or cook very often any more.  Occasionally, though I get in the mood and just have fun with it.  Do you ever combine baking and quilt making?


Harry Potter movies and I go way back!  They are one of several series of movies that I enjoy watching/listening to while I am multi tasking and/or just really wanting to get things accomplished.  Yesterday, I watched the first 3 while sewing HST together for the Mystery Quilt I am doing with From My Carolina Home blog by Carole.  I have gotten myself even farther behind this month.  We have had visitors from Colorado and from Wyoming visiting.  Therefore, a lot of time has been spent at my parents home and doing various things with our guests.  I have really enjoyed their visit.




I also signed up to create Table Runners for a contest that Nancy Zeiman is hosting.  Both of their buttons are on my sidebar, click on them and go and check them out to see if either of these projects would be something you would like to do.

The Double Wedding Ring table runner above will be my first project entered for the Nancy Zeiman blog.  A dear friend of mine had purchased the book and template Rings That Bind by Chryl Phillips and Linda Pysto and created both a quilt and a table runner using the instructions and template from the book.  They were both very beautiful.  She loaned the book to me quite awhile ago, but I just never had the time and a little fear kept me from starting a project.  Over the past week, I decided to make one. 

What I write next is my own opinion.  I was very excited about this method of Quilt As You Go technique for the DWR.  I created one DWR quilt a few years ago from a pieced pattern.  It took me well over a year to complete the oversized King quilt.  I have been asked to create another DWR quilt for a dear friend and thought this would be a project that would go much quicker.  I was very disappointed with the project. 

Not because of the pattern or the instructions, but because I am not a precise quilter.  I try hard to match seams and make every thing look wonderful.  But, I quilt, sew, hand embroider and just create to have fun not for perfection.  It is mentioned throughout the instructions that being precise is very important.  Everything was going wonderfully until I had to join the 3 sections together and flip the sections over the top and sew them all down.  No matter what I did the seams would not match and the fabric crinkled in several areas.  So I was not a happy camper.  I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to achieve perfection.  But not for anyone who is just starting to learn to quilt or who, like me, is not a perfectionist.  I am still going to enter this table runner into the contest along with at least one other that I am very close to getting done also. 

So off I go to get back to work on my next section of  the Scrap Dance Mystery Quilt Along with Carole.  Then later on I am going to work on a project for Christmas that is being hand embroidered.  Thank you for stopping by!  I love reading comments and replying so I would love to have you comment also. 

Have a wonderful creative day!    Brenda








No comments:

Post a Comment